New user - few simple questions

Bpeters

This topic is 8262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using the trial version and trying to decide if this is the appropriate DBF platform for a company I'm doing work for. Just a couple questions before I can get my hands on the manual.

1. How do you create logical (Y/N) fields?

2. In a parent child relationship, how do you tell the layout that you want a scrollable region of children within the parent record? For example for each reciever number, multiple items are being recieved. Already have a reciever dbf and an item dbf and I believe I set the relationship correctly. I can put the children on the form, but can't control them.

3. Most importantly, does the manual that comes with the program help you get started, or is there another way that is better.

4. Is the scripting language powerful to work with and easy to understand?

THanks for the help.

Bill

quote:

Originally posted by Bpeters:

I am using the trial version and trying to decide if this is the appropriate DBF platform for a company I'm doing work for.

A small nit, but "DBF" is actually a particular database format. The dBase applications format to be exact. It is not a general term for database applications.

quote:

1. How do you create logical (Y/N) fields?

It is simply a text or number field. You programming will determine what values it stores. To Filemaker 1=T=Y and 0=F=N so any of these kinds of values will work.

To make data entry easier you can define a valuelist that only contains Y & N for instance, then format the field on a layout with this value list. It will only allow the user to choose one of these items if you format as a popup menu or a radio button.

quote:

2. In a parent child relationship, how do you tell the layout that you want a scrollable region of children within the parent record? For example for each reciever number, multiple items are being recieved. Already have a reciever dbf and an item dbf and I believe I set the relationship correctly. I can put the children on the form, but can't control them.

You are looking for what is called a portal. Look in the help on how to set one up, it is actually pretty easy. Although be cautious in your expectations, Filemaker is the only RDBMS which supports this kind of dynamic portal, and you pay for this by some refresh issues. However this is still way better than have to specifically programs SQL queries all the time.

quote:

3. Most importantly, does the manual that comes with the program help you get started, or is there another way that is better.

The printed manual is OK, but the online help is FANTASTIC. It is very complete and pretty much explains ever function and option, including all of the scripting commands. This is all I really ever need to refer to.

Also check Amazon.com for a whole slew of 3rd party books and videos and cds on Filemaker.

quote:

4. Is the scripting language powerful to work with and easy to understand?

Although not the most powerful or flexible development language, the Filemaker drag and drop scripting is very user-friendly and designed in plain English. Plus it is extensible with a wide variety of plugins for the features that it lacks.

I can't go into detail with answers for all your questions, but I had no problem learning to use FM. The book that comes with it is a good start. I picked up two more, FileMaker Special Edition and FileMaker Dymystified. Excellent books with great examples. I am a big MySQL,MSSQL and MSAccess fan and I had no problem learning FM (I am not a FM Pro, yet). The way some of the things are done are a little different (don't have time to name them) but are easily explained with the above books. The scripting is easy to pick up also. Scripting is explained really well with Dymystified. Scripting is more versatile on Macs b/c it will take advantage of AppleScripts. I am in a big Mac client environment, so FM has been great to work with. All the questions you asked above are doable. This forum has been a great help too.

This topic is 8262 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.