Navigating to portal record

Baylah

This topic is 6681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Last question and I think I am done with this solution. Thank you for all of the help I have recieved.

Is there a way I can "click" on a record in a portal and navigate to that specific record.

I thought I could use the script step "go to related record" but it doesn't seem to be working.

Sorry to be so needy...It might not seem like it but I have done a ton of work on my own and only ask as a last resort!

I feel beat up because of the last post so I am almost scared to ask a new one!

Steve

You need to isolate the relationship further (by creating a new relationship). Use a gChildID (global) in Main related to that portal ChildID on = (creating a new table occurrence of your portal table). When you click the portal row, use Set Field [ gChildID ; Related::ChildID), Commit Record/Request, GTRR (to that NEWLY created relationship).

"Sorry to be so needy...It might not seem like it but I have done a ton of work on my own and only ask as a last resort!"

I know the feeling. Don't worry about it. If we didn't ask questions, all the people answering would be quite bored. :wink2:

I just know I'm going to get killed, flamed ot both for this....but...What!?!

"You need to isolate the relationship further (by creating a new relationship). Use a gChildID (global) in Main related to that portal ChildID on = (creating a new table occurrence of your portal table). When you click the portal row, use Set Field [ gChildID ; Related::ChildID), Commit Record/Request, GTRR (to that NEWLY created relationship)."

LOL. I think I understand most of this, but not enought to do the solution.

1: Create a new field in Parent DB called gdhild, and make it global.

2: In the table where the portal information is create a field called childID

3: Relate those two

4: Write a script that when performed: sets field gchildID to childID, then goto related record.

IS that right?

Thanks for the kind words. Everytime I think I know something I come up against a new brick wall.

Steve

"Doesn't seem to be working" is not a good description of a problem.

"I thought I could use the script step "go to related record" but it doesn't seem to be working"

What I meant was, when all I do is script to "GTRR" and click on a related record that has been set up as a button, it always takes me to the same record, regardless of what "line" on the portal I click on.

I will try and figure out Laretta's solution. This is the last step in a very involved project and I appreciate the help. It is very much appreciated.

SF

Hi Laretta,

You had left a more detailed response to my question, but either I was halucinating or it has disappeared before I had a chance to copy the information to my temp file.

Can you please restate your response.

Steve

PS Or was I dreaming?

This topic is 6681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.