Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Building List

This topic is 6702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys,

I am not sure this is where I should ask this but here goes.

I have 5 fields labled Bldg_1 through Bldg_5. Some records have only bldg_1 some have more. I need a report that has all buildings sorted by building number.

How do I find all the buildings from the 5 fields and display it in a single field to show all building numbers?

You probably don't know it, but your question is more about relationships...

You need to normalize your data so that the building information isn't put into different fields (Bldg_1 through Bldg_5). You normalize by creating a separate Building table that has bldg Number (1 through 5) and SiteID (assuming the main table is some sort of site-oriented table), make a link between SiteID in the site table and the SiteID field in the building table, and put whatever building-specific information in thebuilding table. Then, you make a report in the building table that will list each building in its own line.

Scout around the forums for more about using arelational structure. There's a lot here about how to do it.

I hope this gets you going...

David

P.S.: To anticipate a question down the line, there are ways to limit the number of related building records a person can create attached to a given site, and others will be able to guide you there.

This topic is 6702 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.