Creating records automatically in relational db - please, help!

vasilek3285

This topic is 8225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Could someone help me out with the following problem: one of my databases is updated from the web. Depending on the "status" filed, I need FM to automatically create NEW records in another relational database. For example, if someone updates the field "status" with the word "customer" in the "MAIN" database, I would like to have a new related record created in the "CUSTOMERS" db automatically. Is it possible? Since the entry into the "MAIN" db is made from the web, portal seems to be of no use (I understand that portals can not be updated from the web using CDML and custom web publishing). I am new to FM, so any help will be appreciated.

I'd suggest not "automating" the process completely, rather have a person get a list of new records and decide which are to be added to the main database, otherise it'll be prey to undesirable behaviour.

You mention the web but don't say whether the main database is used through the FMP client or a web interface -- it seriously affects the options for doing such a function.

If working thought an FMP client, I'd show a portal of newly added records and have buttons on each record to add or delete as necessary. Easy. Just check in to the portal a couple of times a day.

This topic is 8225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.