Creating new records

This topic is 6657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Im porting a POS program from Access to FM 7 Developer. I want to create a new record in a LayBy table when that is the chosen method of sale on an invoice. In Access I can do that via code when a button is clicked. Can I create a new record in Filemaker in a related table with field information derived from the invoice form without the user having to provide any input? In other words can I create and populate a new record via a script? File attached.

Any help is appreciated.

POS.zip

Edited by Guest

Your relations graph isn't as delightfull an expirience as the opening screen definitely is!!!!

It isn't mandatory to interconnect all table occurrences in one web, take a quick glance at page 37 in this:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/FMDev_ConvNov05.pdf

...the issue is that such a system will make it easier to grasp the inner mechanics of a solution instead of clicking on all relation boxes in the graph in order to comprehend it's meaning.

Can I create a new record in Filemaker in a related table with field information derived from the invoice form without the user having to provide any input?

It's the allow creation of related record option for relations, that creates an unwanted line in the portal that bothers you - isn't it?

Of course it could be done by script and with or without auto-enter values if you wish ...what do you expect???

One way to accomplish it is to exploit the script parameters, another way is to use scratch pad'ish fields if the validation should undergo severe scrutinization before being made a portal row as well as being obedient to thought thru interface consideration :)

--sd

Soren

Hej from Australia and hvorden har du det?

Lol; afraid thats all the Dansk I know.

It's not the extra portal row that bothers me. I intend to revisit that issue in due course.

What Im trying to do is insert a record into the LayBy table when the radio box is checked for yes. In my Access solution I do this via code after the print button is clicked (insert a record etc). That way I can track and display subsequent LayBy payments. So, in Filemaker Im attempting to provide the same solution and was wondering if this was possible.

Im about to read the FM development Conventions also and tak for that.

If you would like to suggest an alternative way of implementing what Im trying to achieve I would appreciate that as well. Tak again

Edited by Guest

Selv tak!

So we're talking about making new records in LayBy details created remotely from sales table occurence ...aren't we?

You have chosen to make this in two different tables - as I see it is it just an attribute to a sold item, and can't quite graps why it has to be done in two tables ...when multicriteria relations can make you slice and dice data to your hearts desire. Sales detail and LayBy details are almost identical.

As you might have sussed do I not agree with the normalization of the structure ...is it done intuitively?

I can see the indexing problem by chosing if a an order either is straight forward sale or a layby sale, if it werent for the ability to have two keys. Especially when it comes to last minute change of plans.

This means that an invisible button should be attached to the alteration of the radiobutton, that goes to the related records and modify the crutial key for the found set - then go back to the primary side of the matter and alter the key there as well.

This is easy piecy, unless we're talking of a vast number of portal rows - well it can be done in large sets as well. But the user will notice a slight halt in the responsiveness.

--sd

Hej again Soren

Accept what youre saying about the normalisation process. So I'll rethink my relationships and see if that helps. Im still curious though if you can create records via a script.

So onto more problems; its a frustrating and rewarding experience.

Thanks again Soren for taking the time to reply.

Oh, and could you say hello for me to our Mary next time you see her.

Well you could examine the scripting I suggests in this thread, since you're on fm7 should you concentrate on the middle solution that exploits recursion to pick up the primaryID, but it does what you're after a generation of main record and a template'ish continuation of the procedings making the related records as well.

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/173606/post/192463/hl//#192463

--sd

This topic is 6657 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.