Changing the state of the Caps Lock key

This topic is 6684 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I need to use the Caps Lock key to stop a loop in a script (using Status(CurrentModifierKeys)).

In order to do this without leaving the user with Caps Lock "On" I was wanting to set Caps Lock "On" automatically at the beginning of the script. This way when the user uses Caps Lock to exit the loop, they are left with Caps Lock Off.

I have looked far and wide for a way to achieve this using AppleScript but without success. It needs to work on both OS X and OS 9, though it can be 2 different scripts.

Ideas anyone ?

AppleScript ? Apple Event ? xCode ? Shell script ?

Thanks to all

cincin

Edited by Guest

I can't see this as a great idea... why not use one of the modifier keys like shift or Ctrl, or combinations...

Note that if you have a loop running in FMP with such an escape built in, and you change applcations (say to your email program) FMP will still react to the modifier key even if it is in the background.

Hello Vaughan,

Thanks for your reply.

I was trying to spare you all the details but to answer your questions and statements:

- The reason I want to use the Caps Lock key is because all the other modifier keys are already used for other purposes. I originally used the Option/Alt key instead but it triggers the menu keyboard shortcuts in Windows and that's a problem.

- I am aware that the modifier key event will be triggered even if the user is in another app, it's all part of the plan and actually necessary to my solution as the user WILL be working in another app (another FMP solution).

That being said I am still looking for a way to change the state of the Caps Lock key, any help/hints is greatly appreciated.

This topic is 6684 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.