Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can someone look at my scanner manual for CTRL+1 option?

This topic is 6388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dpiprolab:

Welcome to the Forums.

Nice manual, if you already know how to program a barcode reader. Fortunately...

Look on page 12 - it shows the basics of how to program your preamble & postamble. For the preamble, you scan the "preamble" barcode, then scan a barcode containing the preamble, then scan the "preamble barcode again. Easy enough. But how to scan a control character? Nice of them to not tell you.

Go to page 46 of the manual, where the ASCII barcodes are. You will find one that says "ENQ" and one that says "ACK". These are the control-make and control-break codes. So, to create a preamble of Ctrl-1, Do the following:

1. On p. 12, scan "Preamble"

2. On p. 46, scan "ENQ"

3. On p. 54, scan "1"

4. On p. 46, scan "ACK"

5. On p. 12, scan "Preamble"

The same goes for the postamble:

1. On p. 12, scan "Postamble"

2. On p. 46, scan "ENQ"

3. On p. 54, scan "2"

4. On p. 46, scan "ACK"

5. On p. 12, scan "Postamble"

So, what you're doing is firing up a script (Ctrl-1), entering some data (barcode) and firing another script (Ctrl-2) - you may find that FileMaker chokes on this, as the data entry is coming too quickly after the first script fires. If so, see about programming a pause after the preamble.

HTH

-Stanley

• Newbies

I am new to Filemaker and have created the following file. What I want the barcoding to do is trigger a CMD-1 script to enter into a Search mode by envelope number, enter the barcode and bring up the record. This will allow data entry by our color correctors for quantities, sizes, etc. Does this seem feasable?

DPI.zip

DPIprolab:

In essence, yes. It's just a matter of making the barcodes (your cmd-1 barcode, for instance) that the reader will accept in order to launch the script. I've got many solutions running that use this sort of procedure, and it works great.

As to your particular solution, I can't see exactly what you'd be doing (and your #1 script is a print script, rather than your barcode-oriented find), but you've certainly got the right idea.

-Stanley

• 8 months later...

HI there!

I'm just trying the tecnique based on ENQ/ACQ but does not work?

I think that is reserved only for RS232 Barcode readers?

With my PS/2 Barcode reader when i send an ENQ filemaker get a "CTRL+E" (delete record) and not a CTRL keydown.

I resolved by makin a layout wich only 1 field accessible (the barcode) and then sending this data without any script:

PREAMBLE: SO (CTRL+N)

DATA: BARCODE

POSTAMBLE: TAB

This is in no way a controlled task but is working perfectly

Thanks Bye Rob

This topic is 6388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.