add record with date only and different background color

Om

This topic is 6637 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi-

We have a custom phone log- very basic- and all I need to do is create a button that inserts a new record that acts as a date separator so you can see phone calls from different dates easily. I tried a button using import and also new record but can't seem to get it to work- can I do it all from 1 file or will I need a second file to act as the inserted record? Also- we get a lot of gibberish characters when pasting phone numbers from Outlook 2003- hopefully we can avoid that as well. I have attached a test file. Thanks-

Thanks-

Om

Call_Log_test.zip

By adding a Call table and relating it to your call log table you can then set things up in a portal. You need to set the relationship to the Call_ID, which I added and set a simple script to open it. See "Call Log Portal" layout. I also set the time field to time stamp and the date fied to "get(currentdate)" so when you click in the name field the callID, Date and time are automatic.

As far as phone numbers are concerned you need to have a calculation and all numbers must be entered without () or - . I added the calc for you. Before importing data I would first export it to an excel spreadsheet, remove all "(" and ")" and "-" and also remove all spaces then import the data from the excel spreadsheet. That will solve your phone number problem.

Good Luck.

Al

Call_Log_test.zip

Thank you so much for your reply and modding the file. I don't see the advantage of using a portal- and don't understand the portal concept itself so I am looking in the help files. The idea for the "new page break" button was to insert a record with the date with yellow or red background or whatever that would show easily the division between days- maybe even have it actually create a page break so new days would begin printing at the top of a new piece of paper. This is a list an assistant uses to log phone calls and take messages- print it out and then deliver it to her boss. So the phone numbers get copied randomly from Outlook and pasted on the fly so exporting as you suggested would be inefficient at best though I think you may have assumed we wanted to do a 1 time import of data.

Om

Not sure I understand what you are after. You can search the portal for a specific date or range of dates so only that day or date range is in the portal at any one time. You can then set up a report layout which will show only those records and print the report from there. You can get real fancy and set up a script to print it directly from your call layout. However, if you are looking for a quick and easy method to record calls a portal is easiest to use.

As far as the phone numbers go, I thought you were going to import them all at on time into FM. Take the calc out of the phone field, leave it as text and just paste whatever format comes from Outlook. Why you are getting gibberish is beyond my understanding. Perhaps someone else will have experienced this problem.

Good luck,

Al

This topic is 6637 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.