Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relational v/s Look ups

This topic is 8732 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I want to create a dbase with several selections on a master list. I want to use a bar code scanner to enter the code in a field on the master list. I then want to use the bar code to initiate a lookup input from an inventory (look up v/s relational dbase) list and enter the data that would match the bar code into the field which it was originally entered. I won't need the bar code for anything else but the initial look up.

An example would be, a bar code number is scanned 1124567748 and the action is to pull the readable data (blue knitting needles another code may be, red hair clip) into the field where the bar code was scanned from.

I'm planning on creating a long list of items customers can select from, so each field needs to be different. The bar code reader will be the primary entry device.

I have taken a look at the trial software tutorial but it wasn't clear how to do this for my application.

Question: How can FileMaker do this?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Leitner

If I understand the question correctly, there are a couple of ways to do this. One is to scan the barcoded number into a field which triggers a lookup from inventory. The second is to scan in the barcoded number and then run a script.

The capabilities of barcode scanners vary, but several allow extra characters to be programmed before and after the scanned number. These extra characters might be a trailing "tab" to trigger a lookup or a "cntl-1" or "cmd-1" to trigger the first script on the ScriptMaker list (or second, etc.) This script could take the number scanned into to a global field and perform whatever operations are required.

Not ever scanner has this ability to add characters before and after the scanned barcode. One I like is the Unitech MS690WA laser scanner. It's priced right, Mac & PC compatible (not USB), and quite programmable.

(OBWT, I'm the administrator for the barcode forum - BD)

This topic is 8732 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.