Server Maintenance This Week. ×

counting Checkboxes

Pesinos

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by Pesinos:

I have a list view of data collected on line. Users chose workshops by clicking checkboxes. I would like to have FMPro addup the checkboxes checked for each different value. Is this possible?

With the use of Summary fields, and then either a GetSummary function or a sub-summary report.

The sub-summary report is the more classic way to do it. You setup the sub-summary part by the checkbox field, then place summary fields in the parts and you will get totals or counts or whatever you are looking for on your printout.

The GetSummary function is a way to get the counts live without having to go to a printed report. However they are a bit processor intensive and you need to be careful when they are used.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:

Originally posted by Pesinos:

I have a list view of data collected on line. Users chose workshops by clicking checkboxes. I would like to have FMPro addup the checkboxes checked for each different value. Is this possible?

It's possible, but you need some extra fields.

Let's say that your value list has three possibilities: Red, Blue, Green

I'm using a field name of Color.

Create three number calculation fields, IsRed, IsBlue and IsGreen. The IsRed calculation is set to:

Color = "Red"

IsBlue and IsGreen are set similarly.

This assigns a 1 to IsRed if the field is set to "Red" and assigns a 0 to IsRed if the field is either "Blue" or "Green"

Now you can use a summary field or the Sum function in three more fields (TotalRed, TotalBlue, TotalGreen) to get a total for each value in the value list.

Chuck

This topic is 8584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.