An odd-looking calculation, and checking child records

This topic is 6621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi again, guys and girls. Two questions this time. I'm studying the Business_Tracker demo database (well, actually pulling it to bits with the enthusiasm of a kid pulling the legs off a spider). I'm interested in using container fields to make graphical elements change on screen, such as darkening a button graphic ton indicate it's "on" and soforth. I've run accross this calcualtion which has thrown me completely.

Preferences::gSortHeaders [ Case ( SortField = 1 ; Case ( SortOrder = 1 ; 3 ; 4 ) ; 2 ) ] [ Case ( SortField = 1 ; Case ( SortOrder = 1 ; 3 ; 4 ) ; 2 ) ]

It appears the field should be set with the contents of Preferences::gSortHeaders, but what happens when you start throwing cases in square brackets?

Also, thanks to the kind people here, I now know how to test if a parent record has children without actually performing a find. However, is there a way to maintain context and "look into the portal" WITHOUT actually having a portal present on the layout.

In other words, when I look at the parent record, is there a way to retrive fields from the second or third child record without actually performing a GoToRelatedRecords script step and getting the information that way.

Again, many thanks in advance for your help. Best wishes, Dave.

This topic is 6621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.