Dynamic filename opening

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am wondering if it is possible in fm 8 to reference a filename based off of data in the database. So you have an id number in the database like 1. I want to reference a file on a shared drive Y: which is a pdf with the filename 1.pdf. The open file command doesn't seem like it is able to do this, it asks for a specific filename. This is on a windows network.

I can't seem to get it to work. when I try what that thread suggests it doesn't read what is in the calculated field, it actually takes the calculated fields name....It won't let me put in a filepath without a filename either. so how do you get it to read the filename that is in the database?

Here's an example which uses an applescript to open remote documents over a network. Obviously it only works on Mac clients. If you're using a Mac on a PC network you should change the afp: network path nomenclature to smb: or use the IP address.

The point is to allow users to just enter a file name and then a script will open the relevant file.

Remote.fp7.zip

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.