data entry form won't display fields from both tables

agtjazz

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello... I am new to Filemaker (ver 8) but have experience with Access and SQL, and I just can't figure it out in Filemaker. I have 2 tables related by Deptid. 1 table is people and 1 table is a list of depts, location, manager etc. I would like to create a layout (as a data entry form) to add a person (or edit) and their dept (and then the location, manager etc would display). I only want the related fields (ie location, manager etc) to display and not be editable.

IE - I input John Doe and dept is HR. the HR office and HR manager should appear and cannot be changed.

I don't know if I need a portal (I have read that portals are for multiple rows of records).

Any assistance to this newbie to FM8 would be greatly appreciated.

Since the People is the MANY side of the relationship, you can place your Department fields directly on the People layout. You can use regular fields (with Allow Entry in Browse unchecked) OR just place merge fields of them.

Thank you for the response. Attached please find 2 images- relationship and layout... I want to enter the Dept code (ie BHS or something) and then have the dept name, dept location, dept chair auto fill based on the relationship. I also would like to have it so the fields that appear are display only- not able to be changed.... but that would be my next step.

Thanks again for your assistance

layout.jpg

relationship.jpg

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.