Populating Logic File

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would care to share the methods they use to populate their logic file to assure that there is always a record with matching ID to the data.

Also, I am tinkering with the idea of a viewer that would dynamically assign the ID's to the logic file based on the current data record being viewed (the idea being that you would only need a small fraction of the number of data records in the logic file). I have not had much success on this so far, and was wondering if anyone else had tried this approach.

Cheers,

-Raz

I am far from an expert either, but my understanding in a nutshell:

In the SepMod, the data file is just data. All calculations are done in the logic file where conventionaly, there is a duplicate instance of each record in the data file that has no info but just the data records key ID linked as a 1 to 1 to the data file, and a bunch of calc fields. The UI displays data file fields as well as Logic calc fields.

Speaking for myself only, I've never understood the Logic file concept, and I have left my calculation fields in the back end. Obviously, it's impure, but there you have it. Impurity personified. Or, "progress, not perfection."

One thing I'll note is that with the more robust structures in 7, many of the calculations I needed before (e.g., to make filtered joins) are no longer needed, which cuts down on the calcs.

David

Personally, would put the calcs in the Data file as it simplifies the design and maintenance.

That said, I think you could get a record created in a Logic file by using "allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" and setting some field in that Logic file.

Thanks! I was thinking about the "allow creation" Idea, but dont want to have to have to run a script each time a new line item was created in a portal. I am considering keeping a buffer of x number of line item logic records, where x would be some number that would be more than enough to accomodate the maximum possible items that would be on an invoice. Each time a new invoice would be created, a script would run creating a logic invoice record and checking to make sure that there were enough logic line items in the buffer.

I am beginning to suspect that no one is using a logic file...

-Raz

This topic is 6581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.