Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to show data in fields

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Everyone }:(-)

I am currently developing a Membership database, but have ran into a little bit of a problem.

On various layouts I have a field called 'Factory' that when selected, gives a drop down list of Factory Names/Code Numbers.

When the user selects a Factory, the 'Factory Address' fields should be automatically completed.

This information comes from the layout 'FACTORY' - where factories can be added/removed, and their details can be ammended.

However, the issue i am having is that when i select a Factory from the drop down list, the address details are not automatically completed, even though the relevant data is showing in the 'FACTORY' layout.

I think i am doing something stupid, but i can not see what.

Could anyone please have a look at the attached database and see if they can spot anything.

There is already a member in the database (Number: 80000) that you can use has an example, or just add another member if required.

Many thanks,

Shane :-)

Unity_230306.zip

From looking at the Membership layout, the fields in Membership, and the Relationship Graph, I think that you might want to learn a little more about relational design.

1. The field on the layout is the related field Factory::Factory. It is NOT the local Membership::Factory field. Which is what it should be. That would allow a choice of factory for that member. The other fields (addresses, etc.) are related fields in Factory, which is correct. They will therefore show the current data for the chosen factory.

2. There are also a bunch of other factory fields in Membership. If you absolutely needed that data IN Memberships, you could make these lookup fields. But I don't think you do need them, as you're just showing the related Factory data on the layout. You only need 1 Factory field in Memberships, to identify the factory.

3. The Factory identification choice in Memberships should really be an ID field. That is what relationships should be based on, not names. Names work OK, for beginners, but can be problematic. The ID would an auto-entered serial number (or text) in the Factory table. This is optional, but something to learn. You can hide the ID entirely, from drop-down lists, etc., in FileMaker 8.

4. The relationship has "Allow creation" turned on, which may or may not be correct in this case. But it also has "Delete related records" turned on. Which means if you delete a Member you will delete the Factory record, in the Factory table, of the factory chosen for them. You may want this, I don't know. But you'd better not have more than 1 member with that factory, 'cause once deleted it's gone for everyone.

Hi Fenton.

Many thanks for the reply - it was very helpful.

[color:green]1. The field on the layout is the related field Factory::Factory. It is NOT the local Membership::Factory field. Which is what it should be. That would allow a choice of factory for that member. The other fields (addresses, etc.) are related fields in Factory, which is correct. They will therefore show the current data for the chosen factory.

I have ammended the database to suit your comments and have now successfully got the addresses working.

[color:green]2. There are also a bunch of other factory fields in Membership. If you absolutely needed that data IN Memberships, you could make these lookup fields. But I don't think you do need them, as you're just showing the related Factory data on the layout. You only need 1 Factory field in Memberships, to identify the factory.

I have gone through all the fields and removed the ones that i do not need.

[color:green]3. The Factory identification choice in Memberships should really be an ID field. That is what relationships should be based on, not names. Names work OK, for beginners, but can be problematic. The ID would an auto-entered serial number (or text) in the Factory table. This is optional, but something to learn. You can hide the ID entirely, from drop-down lists, etc., in FileMaker 8.

I will keep this in mind, but have not got Filemaker 8 - i may download the trial version over the weekend and have a play with it.

[color:green]4. The relationship has "Allow creation" turned on, which may or may not be correct in this case. But it also has "Delete related records" turned on. Which means if you delete a Member you will delete the Factory record, in the Factory table, of the factory chosen for them. You may want this, I don't know. But you'd better not have more than 1 member with that factory, 'cause once deleted it's gone for everyone.

I have ammended this to suit.

Again, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Kindest Regards,

Shane }:(-)

This topic is 6608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.