Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Text Wrap in portal

Cryophallion

This topic is 6601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FMP Advanced 8 v 2. I created a company database, and included a purchase order function. The purchase order page has a portal to a purchase order items table.

We imported our list of items from quickbooks, since we are now using the filemaker database. However, a number of the quickbooks items have descriptions which are too long for the portal window. I wish the program would text wrap, but it appears it won't. If I make the field big enough to fit all the text, then all the fields become the same size in the portal, and it becomes too large to print.

I have tried using merges, but that doesn't automatically resize the size of the portal row.

I tried doing it with sliding, but that didn't seem to work either.

I thought about merging out to a word document, but I don't think the relational info in the portal would work.

I also tried the roman style wrap, but it doesn't solve this problem.

I have to believe that there is a workaround for this, but I have yet to find it (I saw some softwrap extensions for the Mac, but those obviously won't work for me).

I would think (but would probably be wrong) that it should be pretty simple to add this feature to filemaker. Why has no one clamored for word wrap?

If you know anything that may help me with the wrod wrap in a portal, please let me know.

The way I have it set up is as follows:

I have a layout that is for purchase orders. It includes the number, vendor, etc.

Under that I have a portal that leads to the items for the purchase order. Each item is its own record in the purchase order items table.

Therefore, I cannot simply go to the related record - as there are many of them. Plus, I need the information in the purchase order table (vendor, number, ship to, project it is linked to etc).

Either way, I need to have both tables in the layout, and multiple items from the purchase order items table. Therefore, I used a portal.

Is there another way I should be setting it up?

Would it help if I uploaded an empty template of that part of the database?

Update: I just tried to make a report based on the purchase order items layout. I then put all of the purchase order information in the header, and the items in the body. Unfortunately, it wouldn't show only the related items. I didn't even bother trying the sliding due to this.

Then, I tried putting a merge field in for the po items. Same problem - not related data.

Attached is a sample file, with most of the company information removed. (I know the database itself is far from perfect - I need to use the setvalue instead of globals, plus it isn't the best design, etc.)

As a side note, I was trying to do a conditional dropdown followed by a lookup, but it only looked up after the first drop down (i.e., item category, then item by category, then the lookup for description, unit price, etc). Any ideas out there for that?

(And I will probably start a new thread, but the database is already up here, so I thought I'd throw it out).

Thanks for all your patience.

Project_Database.zip

Edited by Guest

Sorry for the doubling of the post, but I thought it would reflag the topic due to the edit. I was wrong, and I apologize for the etiquette faux pas. However, I will not repost the file. I try not to be TOO much of a jerk.

Update: I just tried to make a report based on the purchase order items layout. I then put all of the purchase order information in the header, and the items in the body. Unfortunately, it wouldn't show only the related items. I didn't even bother trying the sliding due to this.

Then, I tried putting a merge field in for the po items. Same problem - not related data.

Attached is a sample file, with most of the company information removed. (I know the database itself is far from perfect - I need to use the setvalue instead of globals, plus it isn't the best design, etc.)

As a side note, I was trying to do a conditional dropdown followed by a lookup, but it only looked up after the first drop down (i.e., item category, then item by category, then the lookup for description, unit price, etc). Any ideas out there for that?

(And I will probably start a new thread, but the database is already up here, so I thought I'd throw it out).

Thanks for all your patience.

The problem is that you shouldn't be printing the portal directly. Use the GoTo Related Record script step, and a layout that is mean't to be printed.

Steve

Steve's right, that's how to do it. Slide up all above will allow compression of empty vertical space resizing to fit what is or isn't there. If you're careful about gridding and field placement, a single record entry can be multiple pages or one line and still flow pretty well.

The alternative is to edit descriptions to be no more than a certain number of lines and use the slide up in a portal with subdued horrizontal lines between rows or no lines at all, followed by a trailing grand summary. Steve's is the graphically best solution. Easier to work with, too.

I think I already tried that, but with no success, as I need to print multiple items from the po items table per po.

If I go to a related record, I have only been able to get to a single related record.

I'm sorry if I'm not getting it yet, but I am trying (which should be obvious with all the stuff above I've tried).

Is there any way you could upload me a sample of what you are referring to?

Sorry to take up all so much time on what should be a simple thing for me to figure out.

...I need to print multiple items from the po items table per po.

If I go to a related record, I have only been able to get to a single related record.

Aha! The relationship needs to be ('one to many') from the PO Number to all individual line item records on that PO. So each portal record created for the PO in the portal needs that number in it. Go to related records of the PO Number only and sort them when you get there and view as list. You will also have to make 'Parts' on your printing layout such as:

1. Sub Summary by PO Above: to contain the PO header that looks back for information along the same relationship (now 'many to one') that brought you to all the records for the PO.

2. Sub Summary by PO Below: to contain totals for item count, price extensions, an so on. And to cause a page break after each PO has been processed.

It helps to have a line item number (visible or not) for each subrecord so that you can sort them in the order you want them to appear both in the portal view and in the printing layout.

Well, I have tried what I believe was discussed above. I've tried almost 20 things since I started this, and I must admit I am starting to get fustrated over something that should be pretty easy.

In an attempt to do what you recommended, I made a report, and made the top and bottom info from the PO itself, and the po items in the body field, in list form.

However, sliding doesn't seem to work. The records that are only 1 line long still take up the 3 lines I have alotted.

I know I'm close, and I appreciate all your patience and help.

I have attached another file to hopefully aid you in understanding. I made it rought just to test the idea - the printout is not meant to be polished yet.

Thanks

PO_test_5.zip

Beautiful.

However, I think I may have found one of my problems.

When you set sliding up, a little arrow appeared in the field.

When I set it up, it does not appear. Is there another place I need to click to enable sliding other than the sliding menu? Or is there an error in my install?

This could easily explain why my sliding would not work, and why I was having so many problems.

Bfrost, you will not be a newbie for long. Thanks so much for all your help, and your examples.

...Is there another place I need to click to enable sliding other than the sliding menu?
No, the visible arrow is just a cue to show sliding objects. In the layout mode: View/Show/Sliding Objects. I enabled it so you would see what was marked for sliding in relation to objects above and below the line item entries in relation to the Parts defined in those areas. Open before and after versions of your test file side be side to see the differences, if you haven't already done so.

Also, it might help to review the FM Help section on Sliding Objects/Reducing size of enclosing part.

And thanks for your kind words.

FileMaker Rules!

This topic is 6601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.