Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal Export

This topic is 6579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Does anyone know a way to export records from a portal and the related record from the parent file WITHOUT creating breaks in the report? For example, I get this on output:

record 1 portal field 1

portal field 2

portal field 3

record 2 portal field 1

portal field 2

and what I want is:

record 1 portal field 1

record 1 portal field 2

record 1 portal field 3

record 2 portal field 1

record 2 portal field 2

The main related record is exported with every portal row occurance. Thanks!

Make a script to goto all the related records in your foundset... Show these related records in a layout linked to your portal table occurance, and export from there...

~Genx

• Newbies

I'm talking about exporting. Also, this is a many-to-many relationship where I have all the records in the main table relating to all the records in the 2nd table. There is no 'direct' relationship between the two tables. I've used the 'X' relationship type. Example:

Record 1 (Main table) relates to all records in the 2nd table.

Record 2 (Main table) relates to all records in the 2nd table also.

So, using real data....

8000 relates to 1010, 2021, 330, 432, etc......

8010 relates to 1010, 2021, 330, 432, etc......

When I export from the portal, I get this (the main table record acts as a break record, and I want it listed on every line)

8000 1010

8010 1010

and I want......

8000 1010

8000 2021

8000 330

8000 432

8010 1010

8010 2021

8010 330

8010 432

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Hi tewan,

I have exactly the same problem and have not yet found the answer. If you have any news on this I would be very grateful if you could post it. I, of course, shall do the same.

Thanks for that Ender,

However that only half resolves the issue. I am trying to export contact data to later import it into my palm address book. As my telephone numbers and email addresses are in related tables, using this technique manages to keep the phone numbers and emails that are related linked to their other specific data. The problem however is that this technique also creates a new record for every instance in a phone number and an email in a related table exists and this data is totally superfluous. Worse than that it doubles, triples or qudruples the phone information creating otherwise empty records. This is what I need to know how to avoid.

I have an inkling that using "group by" for exporting, or XML or XSL would resolve this issue, but I can't manage to get any of these to work.

Just answering my own post here.

Sorry to be a dummy. I just succeeded in "grouping" the export using the serial number and this has resolved the issue. Hope this helps someone.

This topic is 6579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.