Displaying identical lists across records?

This topic is 8351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello! I am new to this forum, and I don't know exactly if this is the right place, but here's my question:

Is it possible to have a value list displayed across several records? e.g. if I click and select "green" from one list, is it possible to have that same information shown on the remaining records?

If I can't do it on a value list, what other options do I have of having the identical field show up on all records in the database?

Thanks in advance!

Sheldon

I think you might have some confusion about how databases work. At the expense of being too tutorial: A database is in it's simplest form like a stack of 3x5 cards. Each 3x5 card is a "record". A "field" is like a place on each card for entering say Last Name, First Name, Phone Number, etc. In FileMaker, a "layout" is just a way of viewing the information in the reocords (on the "cards"). You can have one or many layouts (views of the data). The existence of layouts and many or no fields on the layouts does change the data in the FM file at all. If you place a field on a layout and assign a value list to that field, it is available to all records in the file.

I'm not sure what you mean "have the same information show on the remaining records". Do you mean, "I want the name Smith on all the cards in my card file"? If you want to fill in the field (Color?) with the value "Green" in all records of your file, you will need to use the Replace function (or write a script to do so).

Since you are new to FM, it might be beneficial to describe what you are trying to accomplish with your database, just so we can make sure your aren't trying to "drive in a screw with a hammer" so to speak wink.gif" border="0.

-bd

Hi Sheldon,

try it this way: Define the field in which you want to pick "green" as a variable. Then it will appear in all the other records. The content of a variable is the same in every content.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for.

Matthias

This topic is 8351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.