Conditional Record Access

This topic is 6589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am having a continuing problem with users overwriting existing records. Almost all of them are very inexperienced with computers and databases (medical professionals). They think they are performing a Find when actually they are still in Browse and then they change the Client ID (foreign key drop down list) and now we have Mr. Smiths Client ID and Name with Mrs. Jones data...

They still need to be able to edit the records. I tried using a locked flag that controls permissions, but then they all have to get someone with full access to open the record back. Is there any way to lock the record but allow the user to toggle the flag back to open (basically lock every field but the flag)?

My question would be why do they need access to the Client ID in Browse mode? In a properly designed system the user would really never have access to the ID fields in Browse mode. In versions 7/8 those fields can be set to be enterable only in Find mode.

If they currently need access in Browse mode in order to "choose" a person for something, I think you need to reconsider. I think is better to either:

1. Find the person 1st, then add the item; that is, start at the top and work your way down, or

2. Create a dedicated controlled interface for them to "choose" a person for an item. This would be something like a portal, filtered by a letters they type in, with a "+" button to add them to the item.

Such a layout would only be accessible from the item's layout, never otherwise. It would be best to have a Loop that trapped them within the window until they either chose or canceled.

These are just a couple of ideas. Obviously #1 is easier, but in some cases you have to choose a person for an existing item, so #2 becomes necessary. But using a simple drop-down list, enterable in Browse mode is, as you say, very dangerous for beginners.

• Newbies

They actually do choose the client first. Let's say they have a new case, the Client record is completed by the front desk. The counselor then creates a new Initial Assessment record, selects the client ID from the drop down list, their Counselor ID, the date, and then they fill in the data. The problem lies in the next counselor using the same (completed) record and rather than getting a new record, selects their client's Client ID and then we have a mess. The Client ID on the Assessment record is a foreign key to the Client table which I have set as a value list from the Client table. Hope that makes it a little clearer.

Thanks for the help,I sincerely appreciate it!

This topic is 6589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.