Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Tracking stock with FMP. Newbe question.

This topic is 6582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am making a new database so that I can see how my stocks are doing but Im not sure how to import multiple days stock prices into the file.

I want to be able to see if the stock has been going up or down over the past few days. I know this can be done with tables or relationships but I do not have the Filemaker skills to figure out how to do it. I have attached the file Im working with loaded with an example. I am stuck.

stock.zip

You can generally get stock price and volume data in delimited (comma or tab) text format. It's just a matter of using Filemaker's import command to get it into your database. Once it's in, you can search, sort and report as you like. Your sample file seems to have all the basic fields that you need. You may want to add an additional table or two to add some functionality. For example, you might want to add a table that has one record per stock symbol so that you can track the number of shares you own, and the purchase price, net profit/loss, etc.

Thanks for the reply. What I dont understand is how to set up the tables. I know this must seem like a very basic thing but I cant wrap my mind around it.

For example, you might want to add a table that has one record per stock symbol so that you can track the number of shares you own, and the purchase price, net profit/loss, etc.

I want to get data on the stocks I own each day and see if the price goes up or down and see if there is a trend over time. So I need to have access to what the stock prices were yesterday and the day before, ect. But the only way I know how to import is into the fields that I have already.

symbol:aaaa

price: 12.01

date: 4-1-06

price: 10.55

date: 4-2-06

price: 11.90

date: 4-3-06

This would mean that one stock has a record for every day. How do then calculate the changes every day as they are all different records. I cant see how a table would work? Like I said Im new at this. Thanks

This topic is 6582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.