Generate job history

This topic is 6577 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a job tracking system. Each job passes through a production department. The CSR tracks each phase. I have a pull down menu that indiactes where the job is in production; Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 etc. I would like to be able to look back and see when the job moved from 1 stage to the next. Is it possible to have a time field for each stage that get s stamp when the drop down is changed through the stages? I would want to view this in a different layout.

adding a date time stamp to the record sounds like a good idea.

You mention 'history' and that leads me to believe that you would like to be able to see where job was and where it is in the process, who knows maybe even have an idea as to whether the the job has been in one stage too long??

If that is what you are after, then it seems like using a parent-child relationship (also called Master Detail) would do the trick.

You could have 2 tables: A Jobs table (which you probably already have in your application) and a JobStages table. The jobStages table would contain a record for each stage that a job goes through. You could set up a relationship between the jobs and jobStages table so that the jobStages would be associated with the job in the jobs table.

once you have this relationship setup, you can create a layout, which contains job related fields (at the top) and a portal / grid component below those fields. The Portal will contain the records from the detail table. What you wind up with is a job and all it's stages below it in the grid. you can also sort the portal so that the stages are in chronological order.

I hope this helps you out,

happy coding,

sincerely,

J__

This topic is 6577 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.