Global field data disapears

hbecerra

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I used to have data into a global field when using FMP 8 networked, but when I moved to FMP 8 Server the same solution is not working, the global field retains the data only while the solution is open, after quiting and reopening the updated data dissapears only from global fileds. It is supposed to work like that ? any suggestion to overcome that situation ?

It is supposed to work like that ?

Yes!

any suggestion to overcome that situation ?

Yes! The deployment is basicly a flaw in the relational structure, use a cartesian product related table for global data availiable to all users on the network, and equi-joined with Get(UserName) as key value for personalized "globals"

--sd

I think what Soren meant to say was...

The global fields are only modified within the current users workspace - as such each user has their own copy of the global. The initial state of the global is what the content was when it was last saved under a single user deployment.

Your workaround is to have a new table that can hold either a single value or a value for each user and make a suitable relationship based on those needs. The fields in the new table need to be ordinary fields (NOT globals).

HTH

This topic is 6545 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.