Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Exporting & Importing Records from a Runtime

This topic is 6573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am really hoping that this seemingly simple situation can be resolved in FM8 Advanced. Keep in mind that this has to be a runtime! I am working on an application where in one database I am required to have a looping script to parse constantly incoming data into a table. Thereby causing no user from being able to interact with the data being imported and parsed. So, what I need to happen is for this dbase to export the data to an external table. However, the "export records" script step in Scriptmaker will only overwrite previously exported data, with no way to append the data to an existing dbase.

What I have working from WITHIN Filemaker, is that I execute a SQL statement and insert the data into an "intermediate" access database via ODBC. This way my second runtime could get those records at leisure and purge them from the "intermediate" dbase. However, when the runtime is compiled, guess what? The Execute SQL statements in Scriptmaker are not supported via a runtime, and are simply skipped.

Next, I tried to build a relationship between file A and File B, and bind them together in the runtime. This did not work either, as there can only be one "primary" file in the runtime, and the looping script in File A seizes the application as if they were not seperate files.

Surely, this can be accomplised without a plugin!

Basically, what I need know is can one FM8 RUNTIME append data to an "intermediate" dbase and then the second RUNTIME be able to also interact with this table to retrieve and then purge the records? Or better yet just export the records directly into the second runtime dbase!

Thanks in advance for any help in a solution to this problem

It's not clear if you incoming data is in a FMP file or an SQL file.

The export records is the wrong approach if you intend to append data from one db to another, you'll need to use IMPORT.

Forget the plugins, as you will find out there is little support in runtimes here, but also check out the other limitations of runtimes v. natives before you do any more development.

By now, I would suggest you have already spent more of your time than the cost of an FMP licence - rethink?

It's not clear if you incoming data is in a FMP file or an SQL file.

The export records is the wrong approach if you intend to append data from one db to another, you'll need to use IMPORT.

Forget the plugins, as you will find out there is little support in runtimes here, but also check out the other limitations of runtimes v. natives before you do any more development.

By now, I would suggest you have already spent more of your time than the cost of an FMP licence - rethink?

This topic is 6573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.