This topic is 6562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i have hard time understanding the logic behind BT(Filemaker Business Tracker). this thing is an open challenge, i think that is the reason why they left the source open , i bet you they are laughing at all the questions that pour in the forums about how this jewel with its elegant look and monsterous design could be put together in one single file.

all i have been trying to do is to be able to understand the nav.

i know it has to do with previleges, access, ...so forth ... but i wish if someone can help explainig the meaning of the calc:

Case ( ( PatternCount ( "¶" & Get ( ExtendedPrivileges ) & "¶" ; "¶" & Module::Label & "¶" ) ) ; Module::ID )

in the start script

Edited by Guest

What are we talking about? I.e. what file?

Well, get(extendedPrivileges) lists the accounts extended privilages seperated by carriage return, i.e. access via IWP, ODBC exchange etc. and pattern count function, checks for the presence of whatever is in the Module::Label field.

The case function just says:

If the Contents of Module::Label field appear within the list returned by the Get(ExtendedPrivileges) fuction, the result is Module::ID otherwise its nothing. Like i said i haven't ever seen the file so...

~Genx

The reason the Get(ExtendedPrivileges) function and the search criteria for the PatternCount function (Module::Label) are concatenated with returns is because the list of values might look like the following:

ExtendedPrivilege1

ExtendedPrivilege10

ExtendedPrivilege20

The problem occurs when testing for "ExtendedPrivilege2". When you look in the list above, it doesn't exist but when you test with PatternCount, the pattern is located because "ExtendedPrivilege2" is contained within "ExtendedPrivilege20". However, if you search for "¶ExtendedPrivilege2¶" (with return characters enclosing it) you won't locate "ExtendedPrivilege20". In other words, the search pattern is more unique with the surrounding returns.

Since a return-separated list of values doesn't have a leading a trailing return, as seen below, you need to add them.

ExtendedPrivilege1¶

ExtendedPrivilege10¶

ExtendedPrivilege20

So, adding leading a trailing returns to the Get(ExtendedPrivileges) and PatternCount search criteria allow you to accurately locate what you are looking for in all scenarios.

hi john

what a nice opportunity to have you responding to my thread.

i just signed in the vtc series about filemaker done by you. and am going through your tutorials posted there , let me tell you,.... you are among the best to explain this stuff.thx for explaining.

This topic is 6562 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.