Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Button Click Counting

This topic is 6569 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I want to create a button and to count every time that button pressed.

The purpose is to figure out the total number of a particular number of items I have encountered on a particular day.

I intend to have a record a day and to be counting about 20 – 30 variables that I need to total at the end of the day

With this total I would like to perform some simple math’s functions.

I would appreciate somebody’s help

:)

• Newbies

Hi

Thank you for your help : :

What I am counting on a daily basis is different meals served to staff,

At the end of each day I get a printout from a cash register that tells me the various meals and drinks consumed, but it is not totaled so I have to do it manually (argh)

What I want to do is create a filemaker database that tracks daily consumption of each item and then gives me a daily total of how many different types of meals are eaten

Eg

Bacon and Egg 20

Fish of day 15

Cold drinks 23

My intention was to create a db with a record (field) for each menu item and another for number consumed. I would turn the menu item into a button, so every time I press that button it would increment by one.

I would then just total up meal types consumed for the day

I would want to keep a record for each day usage

My gut response would be 'get a new cash register, for crying out loud'. Surely, in 2006, it should not be necessary to manually reinput data...

Ah, well. The problem with your solution is there's no audit trail. If you accidentally press a button twice, or worse, if you're not sure if a click registered or not - your entire stack for that day is ruined. So if you absolutely must go this way, you should have each button create a RECORD with at least two fields - the product and the date. This way, if you make a mistake, you can always go back and find the discrepancy between the printout and your entry.

A convenient layout for data entry would have a portal showing all products. Clicking on a product name in the portal would create a new sale record for this product with the current (or global) date. (You will need two files for this - Products and Sales, and a couple of global fields to hold the temp data for the scripts.) Then you can easily summarize the sales by date and product.

• Newbies

Hello and thank you for the help and advise. The cash register is a computer based (SQL) POS that our cafeteria inherited when it took over form the last operator. The supplier claims that we can not perform any reports other than totals until the NEXT VERSION due in July. It seems any question I ask is dealt with in the NEXT VERSION…. Very dull

The problem is a simple and embarrassing one, I don’t know the code to make a button increment a record by one.

I have created two fields one called product and the other called number. The field product has been turned into a button and I cant work out how to make the press increase the number field.

I am afraid you misunderstood my suggestion. First, you need a file to hold the entered data, let's call it Sales. In Sales, each single sold item is a separate record. There is no incrementing of any number. The fields you need are Product and Date.

Next you need a SERIES of buttons. Now, you could create a separate button per product, and a separate script for each button, that would go something like:

New Record

Set Field [ Product ; "Bacon and Egg" ]

Set Field [ Date ; Status (CurrentDate) ]

Exit Record

Now this is tedious, so I would put the product names in another file (Products), show them in a portal, and make the RELATED field inside the portal a button. Then I would need only one script:

Set Field [ gProduct ; Products::Product ]

New Record

Set Field [ Product ; gProduct ]

Set Field [ Date ; Status (CurrentDate) ]

Exit Record

• Newbies

Hi and thanks for taking the time to respond

I think I may have explained the problem poorly. :

What I get at the end of a day is a register receipt with the sales for the day. What I want to do is categories the items between main meals, entrée, and deserts.

So what I want to do is have three buttons and as I go through the receipts I click the respective button to increase the count by 1

I can create a button but cant figure out the script to have it increase another field by one when pressed

I hope this better explains my problem :

This topic is 6569 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.