Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value Lists record

This topic is 6565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a value list that is displayed in a portal. This value list displays prices. However If I change the prices in the other table it changes the values on all the records that have already been created. I want to be able to change the price but only affect the records that are created from then on.

If someone could help, that would be great

Jeff England

Lookups are a great feature in FileMaker and would definitely be applicable in this scenario. However, the Systems Engineers at FileMaker, Inc. have been telling us not to use traditional lookups since they can be slow, especially in muti-user scenarios. What they recommend is an auto-enter calculation that auto-enters a related field or the Lookup or LookupNext functions in an auto-enter calculation. This is a known issue and is being addressed by FileMaker, Inc.

I also wanted to provide some background on why related fields aren't working for Jeff. Related fields provide a live link to records. If the record is changed so do all the related field links to it. Lookups and auto-enter calculations take a snapshot of the related data and will only update when the lookup or auto-enter calculation is triggered. Changing the related record, on which the lookup or auto-enter calculation is based on, is not enough to trigger them again.

This topic is 6565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.