Linking A Value List To Another

BrianKL

This topic is 8130 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two values list and I want to base the results of the second list from the first list. Since I am dealing with a paintball shop, I am going to use it as my example.

For example my first value list is category. I have Paint as a category. When I select Paint as the Category I want the second value list which is Product Name to list only those items which fall under the category of Paint.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi,try an 'If' script on the second field ie. if Value of first field equalls 'paint' set second field to required values.

Sorry to be so vague as I'm using my PC at the moment,with no Filemaker so I cannot test it.

Create a file consisting of two fields: Categories and Items (the Items field can be a repeating field!). Enter the values you want.

Create a relationship in the main file between the Categories field in the main file and the Categories field in the list file.

The value list for Categories can consist of contents from the Categories field in the list file.

The value list for Items consists of items from a field -- click on "Only Related Items", choose the relationship and the field.

Et voila.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I am probably making things harder than what they should be. I think that maybe I am not explaining myself well enough. What I am after I think should be fairly easy.

I have one database and I have two value lists that I am dealing with. The first one is Category, and the second one is Item. When I select Category (Paint), all I want to see in the second value list (Item) is the items that refer to paint.

Here's what I have done so far. I have created two fields, one Category and another Item. Item is indexed and repeating (Do I want Indexed marked?). My Category value list has the 'Use Custom Values' checked and I have the list of Categories in it.

My second value list is Item. I have 'Use Values From Field' checked which I chose Category (is this correct? Or do I want to select the Item field, I would think that I would want to select Category since this is where I am going to be basing my results in the Item value list from, correct?). Do I want to display items from both fields, or just the one? I went in to Specify and checked Only Related Values. I chose my file (which is only one), then I created a relationship from Item to Category. (Do I need to reverse the relationship?)

But when I select the desired Category, I don't get only the related items in the Item Value List. If I want the results to be listed in the Item value list do I need to use

This topic is 8130 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.