Scripting an import

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to build a script to import data from one database to another with multiple tables, but identical structures.

I've got most of it written, but I need the script to ask the user for the file name and/or path by browsing for it, and then have the script remember that path so it can perform the import for each table.

If the filename and path were certain I'd hardcode that info in the script, but the filename and path won't be the same for every enduser.

Yes, I've tried the Get(FilePath) function, but it only returns the open FMP database. I need to store the path of a database that the user chooses in a dialog box for import, so the script can perform the import on all tables using the same path. In other words, I want the user to choose the import file once and then have the import script take over from there.

I need a way to bring up a dialog that asks the user to browse for a file and then store that path once the user has chosen a file.

----

I've also looked into the Troi plugin which will do what I want, but I'm developing a runtime solution that I'm going to distribute free, so I can't justify the $299.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.