Expanding

abomb

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a purchasing data base for my company. Our company is still creating purchase orders on a TYPEWRITER. Desperately trying to bring us to the 20th century. Anyway, All purchases need to start with a standard Purchase order. I have everything how I want it except I'm having trouble with the description field. Our purchase orders typically only need 1 or 2 lines of input information to describe what is expected from our vendor, but sometimes we have someone do very detailed work and the description field may have 20 lines of detail.

What I need, if possible, is a way to have the description field expand and contract to the required amount of rows so it will fit on a printed purchase order. On my report layout, I've tried expanding the description box, but this leaves a huge space even if there is only one line. I tried a merge field but didn't work, or I wasn't using it correctly.

There must be a way to do this and I'm hoping one of you can aid me once again.

Check out "sliding" in the help system.

Lucky for you there's another 4 million years 'till we're all frazzled to a crisp, but of we'll be out power by then, so don't throw the typewriter away :-)

Perfect! The "sliding" format works great. And thanks for responding so fast.

Now, another quick problem. I'd like to keep the grand total at the bottom or the page no matter how many items. When I set the description field to slide, it pulls up the whole page. Is there a way to keep that total at the bottom?

Okay, i really misunderstood your intentions, i assumed this was for a report of multiple records, i'm way too tired.

Sorry,

~Genx

Edited by Guest

I'd say put the summary field in the footer. It'll stay at the bottom no matter what then.

To do that you need to define a summary field in your database and then just plop it down at the bottom in the footer.

I'm also a noob at this but that seems like the easiest thing.

There are two options on sliding and also "Reduce the size of the enclosing part".

If the reduction option is off for your total field then it should stay put at the bottom of the body part, but you need to fix the size of the body to suit your paperwork

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.