Server Maintenance This Week. ×

data entry restricted, but not if 'x' is entered

Marybelle

This topic is 6472 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all. I have a conditional set of fields which should be remain inactive unless another data entry box is checkmarked with a NO (the frist question in the screen picture). I want to not only have them visually different (the grayed out area), but to actually restrict the fields from being entered into.

conditional_entry.bmp

• 2 months later...

I've seen similar topics posted here before and, of course, I don't remember what they stated.

First I don't think you can directly make access to a field conditional, but it may be possible. . . maybe someone else can respond to this

An old-fashioned way would be to create another identical layout but have those specific fields grayed-out and make a script that allows them to choose "yes" or "no" before entering those layouts.

You can control access to the field by using a conditional modify in the access privileges. Allow access to field a if field b="No".

You can also make the field label on the layout a calculation. If using an older version of FM, use 2 fields. Make one text color "gray" and the other Black (or whatever color you are using)

I hope this makes sence.

Hi Shawn,

I've searched for this here be came up empty. Is there an example or can you or anyone else give a more explicit description of how this takes place?

I can see in Custom Record Privileges that the ability to access fields can be ALL, LIMITED,or NONE but I'm lost as to set a calc to limit access based on the input from another field

Thanks!

Hi Marybelle

Here is one way:

If you create a self relationship between a field with a constant 'no' in it and your first question field you can then create a portal that shows records from this new relationship.

Now place the fields that are conditional into that portal and they will only become visible when the first question has a 'no' in it

HTH

Phil

This topic is 6472 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.