Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value Lists and Reports

Alisun

This topic is 6572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Are all value lists effective as far as printing reports? For example, are Pop Ups just as reliable for reports as Drop Down menus? Is one better than the other?

I have a large number of reports to print in the near future, so any comments on this topic would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Alisun

The popup has a box around it, so you'd probably be better off with the drop-down for printing if you want to have more control over the appearance. Other than that, I don't know what you mean by "reliable." Checkboxes, radio buttons, popups all print fine.

What I mean is the data within the fields. Can data can be retrieved equally from all types of value lists (pop ups, drop downs, etc), when running a report?

The answer is probably yes...But I wanted to ask the question here, since there's so many experienced users.

Data for a field is not "retreived" from a Value List when running a report (unless the field is a ValueListItems calculation field). A Value List, in the sense you are speaking of, is a way to display choices for data that can be entered into a particular field. It doesn't matter how the data is entered into a field, as long as data is entered it will print.

Alisun, if you're printing a report then forget about the value list. Just place the field without the value list attached (as Edit box) if you don't want the box to show. If the field contains multiple entries (such as a checkbox), you might want to create a calculation which concatenates the values into one line something like:

Substitute ( checkboxField ; ¶ ; ", " )

Then the values will display as: Apple, Orange, Cherry

Otherwise, the plain field can be used instead.

This topic is 6572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.