Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Locking Down Related Dbases

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a master file (which I've password protected to restrict access to scripts ect.) which pulls data from 2 other related filemaker pro files. When users open up the master file up they are prompted for a password but select ok for limited access. (I'm happy with this) The problem arises, however, when the master database attempts to access the related databases. The password window for the respective related database prompts the user to click ok yet again.

Is there a way to protect my related databases (lock out script and design layouts) without having the dialoge box prompt users to click ok when the master database attempts to access them.

As always any help is much appreciated.

Edited by Guest

You need the same passwords in all of the files.

Allow each file to open using a non-master password and have that as the default in all. This way there will be no password prompt at all.

To open the files with master password you need to use the shift key in Windows (I think) or the option key on Macs.

See the document preferences for each file to "try default password".

If you have any concerns about the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of the data in your file or about the file's structure, I would recommend that you do not have the file automatically open. Always require an account name and password.

Steven

If you have any concerns about the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of the data in your file or about the file's structure, I would recommend that you do not have the file automatically open. Always require an account name and password.

Steven

Steven--

I'm curious. I set my apps up to automatically log in to the different files (I use a modified Separation Model system with 4 different files) using a Privilege profile set up with limitations I have decided on (not to allow editing of scripts, layouts, etc.). This way, the client gets quick but controlled access to the app. While I acknowledge that the farmers using my software aren't overly concerned with the security or confidentiality of their data, I am still wondering what the concerns are that you hint at.

Cheers,

David

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.