Select ony ONCE from Value List

LuckyMe

This topic is 8102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It’s easier for me to give an example. Let’s say I have 3 files: A, B, C.

On file A: use to display/edit multi records of file B: how to do it? make a relation between file A and file B, then use portal to display multi records of file B on file A. so far so good.

One of the fields of file B called ItemField that lay in the above portal is assigned by a value list. And the value list comes from one field of file C.

Let’s say A and B related by a key field called ID.

WANTED:

The item of the value list is allowed to be selected only ONCE per ID.

For example the value list contains: 1, 2, 3, 4. If I select 1 for ItemField of the first record on the portal, then when I click Itemfield of next record, the value list will display WITHOUT 1

SOLUTION: Please give me some idea.

I hope I make myself clear.

Thank you

I don't think you can implement this with a single portal and value list without running a script. You can do it by using two portals, one for the value list and clicking on an item in this new portal (from c) to move it to your existing portal. The selection script would also be used to eliminate the item from the new portal display upon selection.

-bd

You are right. We need a script to eleminate the "already-selected-item" in the value list. But how do you display two portals in one layout (in file A for this case) without changing the user interface, without confuse the users. I may miss something here

Thanks again

The user confusion and human factors I'll leave to you (I don't know them!). The only possible way to use one value list and a single portal is to trigger the script on a field exit (say exit from the field the item is entered into using the value list). This requires a plug-in such as Troi Activator. You will probably have to refresh the entire screen to have the related changes take effect.

-bd

This topic is 8102 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.