Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Exporting more than the fields

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to export to a tab delimited text file (excel would be an ok alternative if that works) to upload into a seperate server that I cannot control. In order for this to work, the data needs to have a specific header information and spacing that is easy to do manually in excel. I can write reports that look like I need but exporting them to excel it strips out all but field contents and the data and .txt strips out all but the field contents.

Does anybody know a way to have the full report exported at tab delimited text or .xls?

There are several [color:blue]File Format that FileMaker can interface with. Do a search in the FileMaker [color:blue]Online Help for [color:blue]File Format for a complete list of the formats, and a description of what to expect.

BTW, one of the options in the [color:blue]Export Menu is the Text Tab-Separated option. However, you might want to experiment with the different formats to see which one gives you the best results

Lee

I have played with a few of the formats in exporting. I believe the export menu you are refering to is the "Export Records..." menu under File (in the windows version at least), but all most all of the export formats take data only. The only export format I have found to export the entire layout is PDF which does not suit out needs.

As it is I can export all of the data I need to xls and then copy and paste it with the other things I needed, then export that as tab delimited, but it would save a lot of time to be able to just shoot it out in the right format in the first place. Let me know if you have any ideas or if I am missing something.

-Gerard

PDF is not an option for export, only print.

Did you open the ONLINE HELP?

Contents > Saving, importing, and exporting data > Supported import/export file formats?

Lee

Yes, I have looked there but the only options listed on that help page are for exporting data only (except for one or two that also export field names). On the bottom of the page it sites that Layouts can be saved as PDFs, but this cannot satisfy my need.

What I am asking is if there is a way to Export or Save an entire layout's text and field contents to excel or tab-delimited format.

[color:red]File [color:blue]>> [color:red]Export Records [color:blue]>> [color:red]Type (usually defaults to [color:red]FileMaker) click on the drop down list and select one of the formats that are in the Help file. I.e. Merge, Tab-Separated Text, HTM Table, Excel, etc.

Lee

I'm not sure if I am expressing my question correctly. I can export the records fine to any of the types from file>>export records. That is not what I am asking.

I want to export an entire layout (ie The header, footer, etc) to ideally tab-delimited but if not then excel. I do not see how this can be done by changing the type in the export records dialog box because it exports RECORDS ONLY. Maybe this is impossible, but I am asking because it would be very convenient for what I need to do.

I'm still not sure I'm understanding what you want. Lest begin with a couple of question to get us on the same page.

Do you want a PDF of your records?

Do you want a tab separated text file with field names?

If may even be helpful to know what's your planned use of the file.

Lee

Well, Save/Send Records As PDF might give you what you ask - it also grabs anything in the header and footer. You might give that a whirl. :wink2:

Edited by Guest
Reversed Save/Send ... I always get that mixed up.

Your best bet for modifying one of the standard export formats in FileMaket to include custom header information is to try the Troi file plug-in:

http://www.troi.com/

Once you have exported the tab-separated file, the Troi File plug-in can locate it on your hard drive and information to it.

You could also accomplish this by gathering all of your export data into a single global field with a script, adding the header data and then exporting the field contents. This will eliminate the need for a plug-in but will increase the complexity of the script since you will need to add all the tabs and return delimiters.

I believe you can accomplish what you want thru XML export - but you need to be more specific. There's no way to "export a layout". A layout is a GRAPHIC arrangement - it contains data and other objects: it can have text titles, pictures, buttons, etc. Only data can be exported.

I started to post this too. However, in reading [color:red]gmd last post, it seem that he knew about this option. That is why I posted what I did.

Lee

This topic is 6555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.