Multiple Value Lists

drags

This topic is 8095 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Everyone,

I have a small problem which mabey someone can help me with.

I have a database with 6 layouts. Layout 2 has over 100 pictures of different products, Each product has a value list of the different models of that product. Everything is working great except for one thing, the value lists.

What the end result should be is that the person selects a product on layout 2, then it takes them to layout 3 with the correct value list for that product. I've tried using a calculation with ValueListItems. But when I try to select an item it says this field is not modifiable.

Is there anyway I can do this without creating over 100 layouts?

Thank You

Kevin

Hi ,

There are a couple of ways I can think of doing this.

The first would be to create a second database to hold the picture id and all the values for that picture. Each value would need to be a single record.

Lots of work, especially if you have the value lists already.

Another way to do it is to still have a second database.

This one holds the username [text field]

And Current Value List [text field]

In your main database, create a couple of new fields.

CurrentUSer.gl [Global text]

Valuelist.gl [Global text]

Value list [text field]

Define a relationship from CurrentUser.gl to Username in the users database. (User)

Now create a new value list called selected values.

Use values from field. Only related values and choose the relationship just created above and choose the current value list field.

Now the script in the main database.

Set field CurrentUser.gl , Status(CurrentUserName)

Set field Valuelist.gl , (set to the name of the value list you are interested in)

Set field (User::Current Value List, ValueListItems(Status(CurrentFileName), ValueList.gl)

So, when this script runs, it sets the global curretn user to the current user, then sets the global value list to the correct valuelist.

Then transfers that information to the users record in the users database. Your values will now change for each user, depending on what image they click on.

Obviously you will have to add a bit more scripting to pick the correct value list items (this could be a third database with just the picture and a text field with the name of the value list).

This could then be truly dynamic for you.

HTH

[ March 20, 2002, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: Andy Gaunt ]

Thanks Andy

I'll try this tommorow because today I have to finish another non FM project. I kind of glad that I need to create another DB because this will make it easier for updated products.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Kevin

This topic is 8095 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.