Link two tables in one layout-how?

wvb

This topic is 4877 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I would appreciate any help with the following:

I am developing a program for use on my farm-

In this instance I have 3 tables: Table 1 has data for medications used (right now totaling 15 in number); Table 2 has information on animal weight (right now totaling 100 but will grow substantially) and the third table is where I want to calculate dose and store the information re drugs given to an animal.

All Tables have the requisite ID number for the records.

I have established a Join Table in which resides the ID for each record.

I want to be able to go to a layout and choose a medication; then go to another layout and choose the applicable animal and its weight and then bring this information together in a third layout where the dose calculation (this is based on weight of animal times the amount of drug per pound) is made. I then want to have this information stored in the third table.

I have the layouts described and can get the medication information plus choose the animal.

It is the third layout where I am having problems-

1) I can only get the information from one layout not two.

a. If a join table has IDs’ from different tables, how does the program separate the fields? Isn’t a record and its fields all one? In my case if I change the drug I get a corresponding change in the animal.

2) How do I save this information automatically in the third table?

Hope I have not made this too complicated or long in the explanation.

Thanks

Walter

Walter,

I have only moderate experience with Filmaker, but like you, I am learning. I see some of the issues I had in your post, and I learned this way too.

Relating the tables (you have three tables) requires more than just making the relationships. I don't know if you have found this or not, but on the relationship screen (where you connect the key fields - File/Define Database/then the relationships tab) there is a little box in the middle of the line connecting the fields. Double click on that box to get more settings (edit relationships). The one I hadn't set is the one that says "Allow creation of records . . .".

That one had me stymied for a week! Good luck, and I hope someone can offer more.

Fred

Walter,

Threw the attached together rather quickly. First layout is the animals information (your master table). Here you can enter the animals basic information, as well as its weight in the portal below. The next layout is the Drug information. The third layout is used to display Weight and Dosage History. If you click on the Green rectangle in the portal on the first layout, you will be brought to the Dosage History record for that animal based on the particular weight chosen in the portal. On the Dosage History layout, click the red rectangle in the Drugs portal and it will apply the drug the record and calculate the dosage. The History Self-Join was added for GP (general purposes) just to show all related records for each record in Dosage History. Hope this helps or at least sparks some ideas.

Stephen

Walter.fp7.zip

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

Thank you for your reply - I am learning all the time with this program and this information really helps - particularly the use on the 'constant'!

Walter

• 4 years later...
  • Newbies

Hi all,

I need somebody to help..

on my database, i have there, 1) "Running cash donation total" summary type fields, at the "cash donation report" layout;

then i have 2) "total amount given" summary type fields, at the "recepient report" layout;

then I have 3) "running total expenses" summary type fields at the "expenses table" layout.

I want to show or see these 3 fields to the "summary table" layout. How can i do this?

I attached here my database...

Thanks and regards,

Wang

anb new db.fp7.zip

This topic is 4877 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.