Unique Values Portals

simoncpage

This topic is 6547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a file with 2 tables. Person and Location.

I have location related to person in 2 ways.

Location Y ID field - related to - Person ID field

Location N ID field - related to - Person ID field

So I have 2 portals in person that is for YES AND NO. The problem is that with this setup the Location can be YES and NO. Is there a way to sort this so that either:

The drop down list is dynamic so that if it is contained in LOCATION Y it can't be added to LOCATION N (or for that location Y again)

Or

Using a unique field

Any help with this would be great thanks

i have attached a rough demo to show the problem. Loc1 once it is added to the YES location should effectively disappear from the value list. I think a conditional list is best but how would I set this up?

PERSON.zip

Edited by Guest

Hi Simon,

There are several ways you might approach this, depending on exactly how you require the dynamic list functionality to work - and depending on which version of FileMaker you intend to use. Your profile in the sidebar says you are using FileMaker 6 but you have posted an fp7 file... :

If you are using FileMaker 8, you might consider a method such as the one which is shown in the attached file. :

PersonList.zip

Not sure why the Filemaker version didn't update I have selected 8 Advanced in this post.

Your solution is exactly what I was looking for I found a dynamic list example from your website which worked from a script. I managed to get this working but its much slower than this solution particularly when I have a value list for location of over 350 values and on top of the location the person layout has 8 portals (YES/NO) so this will be much easier to integrate.

Nice work :yourock:

This topic is 6547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.