Find is not bringing up correct records

This topic is 6543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Why is it that when I do a find (not a multiple search) on 2 fields that are set up as checkboxes, it pulls the wrong data? I thought that a single search meant find all records including "this" AND "that".

My results include a mix of both boxes checked and one box checked.

help?

Thanks

I saw a similar problem to yours once. The only way to fix it was to delete the data, then reenter it. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure. In any event, that was 6 or 7 years ago at least. I've never seen that issue since.

The only thing I can suggest is placing the field in question on the same layout, but as a text field (next to the one formatted as checkboxes). Make the text box wide enough and tall enough so that you can see all the possible entries that are available in the field you have formatted to display as checkboxes. Now, whenever you check a box in the checkbox field, you should see a corresponding entry displayed in the text box. Browse through the records and look for anything that doesn't look right that may be throwing the find off. Try different combinations of Find as well to see how the text box displays your find requests.

Also remember that changing the values in a value list after entries have already been made using previous values in the same list will yield some interesting results.

Strange. I simplified the database by erasing all the records and removing all tables except for the Contact table. I inserted 6 new records, did my search and it came up fine.

But the original database is still pulling the wrong ones. Could it have something to do with relationships?

It still makes little sense. I wonder, what are the values in those checkboxes? Does one checkbox say "Completed" and another say "Not Completed", ie, do any words in one checkbox also exist in the other?

Hard to say without seeing the file. If it works with fresh data, but not with the original, then that would be my first suspect. Try duplicating the checkbox field/s on the layout, formatting the duplicates as regular edit box. See if there are any extra values "hiding" behind the value list.

Another little test. Do what comment said, put the checkbox field as a regular field. Go into Find mode (safer). Put your cursor in the field. Hit Cmd-I (Insert from Index). You'll see every value in that field. Often surprising. Find the incorrect ones and fix them.

This topic is 6543 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.