Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to make dynamic repeating fields?

Trip

This topic is 6553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am trying to construct a database and invoicing system for my dad's small business. I want to be able to make something like a dynamic repeating field of entries for the line-item part of the invoice. As it is right now, the Started Solution I am using allows for up to 8 rows of line-item input. If I fill in 3 rows, it still print out the other 5 rows as empty, which looks very impersonal. I want the invoice to be able to automatically trim the maximum repeated fields to the minimum amount of field that I have actually filled in. Or, another way to approach it, I would like to be able to start out with just one repeating field for line-items like Item, Price, Quantity, and Amount and be able to add/delete as many I deemed necessary for that particular invoice during the data entry process.

Is something like this possible? Perhaps with a script?

Thank you for any help or suggestions,

Trip

The better way to do this is with a portal row. I am new to this forum but I am sure that there must be many downloadable examples of this around here. There is also probably a template for this that came with your FM8 CD.

Basically you would create two tables, INVOICES and LINE_ITEMS. Build a relationship between them that allows creation of records in the LINE_ITEMS database. Create a portal in your INVOICE layout and put your (Quantity, Description, UnitPrice, ExtendedPrice, etc) in the portal.

This topic is 6553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.