web security database does not prompt for username and password

This topic is 8362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I am trying to use the web security database to be able to remotely change user access privilege and field restriction to my database.

I have set the web companion to use the web security database to protect my database.

I have set a username and password (using the web security database), but when I am trying to add (or edit or delete) a record, the web companion configuration dialog box does not appear and does not prompt for a username and password. In the contrary the record is added (or edited or deleted) to my database whithout asking for a username and password.

The web security database seems working because when I enter the name of my database to change remotely the web security settings, the web companion configuration dialog box prompt me to enter the username ( which is admin) and my password.

The web security seems accepting my web security settings but does not perform any Security.

I have read over and over the filemaker pro user and developer guide for using the web security database and I have perform all the necesary settings.

What can do to fix this problem?

Replies will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Yours Sincerely.

Fred.

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Hi all,

I got the same problem with the Web security.

What I test is I create a new database, named records.fp5, then I use Web Security.FP5 to create user name and password, then post them both on web. What I tested out is everything I click on Web Security.FP5, it will prompt me for password, but records.fp5 never, and it always give me full access to it!!!

If anyone have this experience and have solution, please let me know!

Thx,

Kent

The Web Security uses built in browser security features, meaning that the authentication is good for the browser session - until you quit the browser. Therefor if you give it an admin level authenication which is valid for multiple databases, you won't be prompted again when accessing another database. However, say you authenticate with a password while in database 'A' and later perform a function in database 'B', if the previous password is not valid in database 'B', you will again be prompted.

• Newbies

Thx, but when I only open only one database, like the record.fp5, I enable Web Companion, then I access it thru IE or Netscape, it won't prompt me for any password but have a error message state that I won't have permission to find all.

I am not sure why this message only happen in what I have create, but the built-in like WebSecurity won't have this problem. frown.gif" border="0

Kent

This topic is 8362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.