Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Magic number from relationship?

This topic is 6532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all -

I've been handed a database that someone else started and told to add some features. Above is a screen cap of part of the relationships graph.

On a layout based on the "Cert" table, a portal to the "Part 3" table occurrence displays the "Number" and "Desc" fields from the "Parts" table. Clicking on a row in that portal will automagically populate the "Part" field in the "Cert" table/layout with the value from the "ID" field of that record from the portal. The "Part" field in the "Cert" table is not defined as a lookup, nor is it displayed on the layout as a related/merge field, so I know it must be populated from the relationship, but I don't understand how! I tried to achieve the same result by creating the "VPartNumber" field and trying to get it to receive the value from the "Number" field of the "Part" table, but I can't get that to go. If I add another relationship, the portal breaks, I think because the relationship then becomes an "AND" relationship.

Can someone please explain to me what is going on with the relationships seen in the screen cap and how the "Part" field of the "Cert" table is getting its magic value?

Many thanks in advance!

SCREEN.JPG

Sounds like you have a script in the portal using Set Field to populate the Part field. The button could be attached to the field or a graphic with a transparent fill pattern, making it difficult to locate. You can make the button more visible by turning on Buttons from the View menu under the Show sub-menu. This wil make all the buttons have an outline so you can identify them better.

Ah ha! You were absolutely right!

I couldn't for the life of me figure out where that "magic number" was coming from! I think maybe I can piggy-back onto the script I found to get what I need.

Many, many thanks! I'll post again if I need more help.

This topic is 6532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.