Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Data validation not working from custom dialog - bug?

This topic is 6527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I thought I'd try using FM's built-incustom dialog instead of designing a new layout for one input field. Problem is, if I try and enter a non-numberic value directly into the global field, it fails - as it should. But the custom dialog using the same global field happily accepts and sets the field with data that violates the validation rules. Error capture has been on and off (and captures zero when on) so I presume this is either a bug or I've missed something. Help appreciated! Best wishes, dave,

This has actually been a problem that FileMaker has not fixed for some time. It does the same thing with FM6, and probably earlier versions.

One way to get around this is to use a scripted validation (The IF statement works nice in this case). I've used a loop that keeps asking the question until the validation passes. You might want to include in the message a brief set of rules, so the user will understand what's going on.

Even with all this whohaw that you have to perform, I like it better than creating a whole new layout.

I remember asking this same question a while back. Check out

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/120232/post/120232/hl//

for some other ideas

Are you using validation of 'Numeric Only'? Your field-level validation should be 'Validate data in this field ALWAYS.' Then it will work. Uncheck 'Allow User override' as well. :wink2:

This topic is 6527 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.