Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Strange Lookup Question

HampMac

This topic is 6528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation for my issue, but I can't figure it out. I have a file with two tables, Projects and Tasks. These two files are keyed on the ProjectsID. I have a portal on the Projects layout where I can create tasks. In the Tasks table, I have a Projects lookup field to pull the Project title into the Tasks table. If there is a record (even a blank record) in the Tasks table, then everything works fine, but if there are no records in the Tasks table, when I create the first task record from the portal on the Projects layout, it will not look up on the ProjectID and pull the Project title into the first record, and the first record only. Can someone please explain to me what is going on here? And any suggestions around this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am not sure you're describing the problem accurately, but it is true that a child record will not lookup from a parent, unless the parent record is committed first.

I don't see why you would need to lookup the Project's title, though. You can place the Title field from Projects on a layout of Tasks and be done.

Thanks for your reply comment. I'm not working on a serious Filemaker project at the moment, but rather trying to hone my skills. I do have the Project title on the Tasks layout, and you're right that does work fine. What I don't understand is that every record after the first behaves the way I expect it to. It does successfully pull the Project title from the parent file using a lookup.

So, if I understand your explanation, the parent file is not committed until it becomes related to a child record first. When this is done, the relationship is created, and the lookup field will then work. Is this correct?

I really appreciate your helping to understand this. Thank you!

the parent file is not committed until it becomes related to a child record first.

No - that's the part I believe is incorrect. The parent is committed when you commit it. Try this: create a new Project. Commit the record. Now add the first task - does it lookup allright?

Isnt it the child record is not looked up until the parent record is commited?... .. Right never mind i didn't realize we were going backwards here.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.