Web security... need HELP!

This topic is 8370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone,

Here's my situation: I have a FMP database that I want users to be able to access (create records, browse records) on the web using a web browser. The HTML pages have been created and I'm using the web security database to assist in the login-password access to the db.

What I want to know is this: crazy.gif" border="0

- How can I make the transmission of the data through the internet secure? What do I need to make the transmission secure, i.e. what kind of web server (SSL)??? Is FMP capable of making secure transmissions of data?

- Along with the secure transmission of data, I also want to encrypt the data and the login and passwords before sending it and then decrypting it at the internet browser end. How do I do that? Basically, the most important for encryption is the login and passwords. The data is secondary to that.

FMP and this security stuff is somewhat new to me, so for any solutions or recommendations, could you please don't assume that I know what you're talking about and write a few specifics.

Thanks a lot. smile.gif" border="0

I've been using FMP Unlimited 5 for about 9 months now, here's my config:

Web Server: OS X Server 1.2 running Apache 1.3.12 with mod_ssl running Web Server Connector that's included with FMP Unlimited. This provides the SSL encryption for all of the requests (passwords included) that interact with FMP.

That is connected via 100 baseT Ethernet to a Mac running OS 9.1 and FMP 5 Unlimited. This machine houses all the databases.

good place to start for your apache build with SSL: http://www.aaronfaby.com/osx.shtml

You may want to wait for FMP Unlimited 5.5 http://www.filemaker.com/products/index.html

in a few months to see if there is support for the New Mac OS X Server (10.0), as I'm sure that would be a much easier install. ( I had to compile & install all of the SSL components manually, but I think the new OS X Server has SSL built-in) http://www.apple.com/macosx/server/

You can do all of this using Win NT/9x too, but I have no experience in that area to report from.

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: Arin ]

• Newbies

Thanks a lot Arin. Is it possible to do what you did with the basic FMP 5? How about with lower versions of OS X Server and Apache? Thanks in advance.

Anyone with Win NT/9x experience, please tell me how you configured your web server for secure and encrypted web access. Thanks in advance.

This topic is 8370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.