Individual Access levels within Groups

Polann

This topic is 8308 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am looking for a way to control more tightly which layouts and files certain users can access. We already have Group-level access set out for various databases. Our users also have different log-in sites within those groups. I have created a 4-level access system (1 being all access, 2 being all access except developer stuff, 3 for log-in site only, and 4 for their own info only within their log-in site). I have placed fields in an Auth Users file and are check-boxes on the user info screen. We are currently using a global field in our main login database to record the login access information (related to the Auth Users). Then a script is used to set their access-levels for the groups (that was set up before). However, now I want to set up these tighter controls when entering another database of info so they can see and scroll records only relating to their access level and login site. Im just not sure how to do this without making a huge branching mess! Am I missing something simple here??

Thanks! ???-)

Simple? No, I have't used the record locking and hiding features of FileMaker Pro 5.5 much yet, but it sure sounds like that would be the way to go.

But using 5 or below, you will probably need to set up some very strict scripting upon login that take users to layouts they have access to and a restrict finds to include records that they should have access to. Usually this is inserted after the user performs a find in your system and you as the developer manually add their access to the find so they only find records they are supposed to.

Many developers utilize an interface file that the user works in, using portals (which you as the developer can controll very well). This requires extensive use of calulation fields which incorporate the users privledges in them.

I would suggest the FileMaker Pro Scriptology Book and CD, because they have examples on most of this stuff. As you asked, this isn't easy to impliment, but that's the way FileMaker Pro is, it seduces us by it's simplicity until we attack huge undertakings and it spanks our little behinds. But it is ALL possible!

Hope this clarifies!

-Jonathan

This topic is 8308 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.