View own data only

rservis

This topic is 8237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Wonder if any one could point me in the right direction, I have one database with only one layout where I enter infomation on different customers. I want to enable instant web publishing so my customers could view their data only. The best way (I think) is to have them login and then run a script which basically finds data under their name but I can't seem to put this into practice! I have searched the forums and most seem to choose Status(Currentuser) etc... but I don't know how to progress further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Roy

Status(CurrentUser) won't work because it's a FMP function: web users are coming through Web Companion on the same machine, so they'll have the same name.

The way to do it is to set up the Web Security databases to control access, and make a unique login and password for each user. Then create custom format files that use the [FMP-CurrentUserName] CDML tag to work out which user has logged in, and do what must be done from there.

Doing it with Instant is probably not be possible.

Status(CurrentUser) isn't the way to go as this information checks the computer name or the name specified in application preferences. If someone changes the name, they can be anyone they like. A better way is to create a password and link it to a group and then test Status(CurrentGroups). This approach requires the user to know the appropriate password to become a member of a Group (this can be a group of one person/password).

-bd

This topic is 8237 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.