Passwords on Multiple Files

rhakka

This topic is 8209 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well I looked through this forum but I didn't see this specific issue addressed.

Warning; TOTAL IDIOT question ahead;

So I have a solution with several files, it's small, but I made it for a couple of guys who know very little about computers so I wanted to make it as idiot proof as possible; in particular, I wanted to make *sure* they didn't go into Layout mode where they could do some damage.

The only easy way I could see to do this was to password protect the files to allow access to layout mode only if the developer password were entered.

Here's the stupid part; When they crank open the first database, whenever it access a related file, it prompts for the password AGAIN (since I passworded all the files to prevent accidental screw ups). How annoying. What the heck am I missing here? I assume you guys don't make your users re enter passwords for all the files in a solution, is it possible to use the built in password scheme in a more user friendly way?

Sheesh I'm ashamed to even ask this, I know it has to be the basest of the basic questions for passwords, but I haven't played with them much; most of my coding is for power users in my very small company so we don't worry about access very much.

There are NO idiot questions related to security. Little about this topic is obvious! What you need to do to eliminate the multiple prompts for password is one of two things:

1) If you set up preferences in the files to "try default password" (checkbox) and specify a blank password. The users will login with the blank (lowest level) password by default. For you to access the file with a higher level password, hold down the Option (Mac) or Shift (PC) key when opening the file and the password dialog will appear.

2) In the main file, create a start script (assigned as such in preferences) with Open() statements for all the other files. Automating the opening with a script carries the entered password through to all the file opened automatically and eliminates the multiple dialogs.

-bd

This topic is 8209 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.