Display current time (refreshed every second)

This topic is 6523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an application where it would be great to refresh a field to display the current time.

In other words I want to automatically refresh the field every second to update the time for the user to view.

How do I get Filemaker to refresh the field every second?

Thanks!

I don't think you will find a good way to do this without a plugin. Filemaker works best when things are set to update/refresh based on when data is altered or entered, not so great for scheduled tasks.

You can create a looped pause/refresh script, but it will seem clunky. Not to be discouraging, but unfortunately, I think a wristwatch would be a much easier and elegant solution.

Perhaps there is a java or flash clock that could be imbedded in a container?

-Raz

Here is a file done in v3/4 By: Steve Wilmes called Clock available at: http://www.fmfiles.com/enduserhom11.html

I just checked to see if it would convert, and it seems to okay. The purpose of my post was so you can see what is involved to create a file like this.

HTH

Lee

It's exactly what you would expect. As the author says:

"Bummer is it requires a loop so you can’t do other FileMaker stuff while it is running...unless of course you run multiple copies of FileMaker. You do, don’t you??"

Thanks,

I had thought you needed to convert through FM5 for some reason.

Actually, it looks pretty good. Uses the looping method. The only catch (as noted in the help) is if you want to do anything else in FM while the clock is running...

Nice interface though.

-Raz

Lee,

Thanks for the file link. I gave up and created an application in visual basic 6. However I have to run the .exe file and Filemaker at the same time. It will be pretty easy to create an application on my Mac also.

Is there a way to force an application to stay on "top" of Filemaker?

Thanks everyone!

Ed

TimeandFlipCard.zip

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.