Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filesharing in a WLAN without FM Server

Raphael

This topic is 6505 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I´d very much appreciate some help concerning the following configuration.

We have a Windows 2003 Server and 5 Windows XP users spread over different countries, accessing the server over WLAN. We don´t have Filemaker Server, but a Filemaker Pro 8 Volume License for 5 users.

So I installed FM Pro 8 on the server and configured the database for sharing. Then, on the client, I tried to open the database by “file remote open” over LDAP port 389, but FM doesn´t find the databases on the server.

In the manuals I read that Filemaker Server has an option, where one can register FM to the LDAP, which seems to be necessary for the databases to appear when the clients accesses the LDAP port. FM Pro apparently doesn´t have such an option. Is that the reason why it doesn´t work over WLAN without having Filemaker Server? (I´ve tested all this in a LAN with local hosts, there it works fine).

Thanks,

Raphael

Check out port 5003.

Your router must permit both UDP and TCP traffic on port 5003 for the FM clients to see the host.

No doubt this was not a problem in your LAN as you probably have no ports blocked internally.

Incidentally, WLAN normally means WIRELESS LAN and WAN usually means WIDE AREA NETWORK

Edited by Guest

In the manuals I read that Filemaker Server has an option, where one can register FM to the LDAP, which seems to be necessary for the databases to appear when the clients accesses the LDAP port.

FMS can register itself in a directory service and clients can find filemaker servers when the client is properly configured. But once a server has been located the communication between Pro and Server is through the data port: 5003.

Peer-to-peer sharing uses the same port, but Pro can't register itself to a Directory Service.

Even if it could, I'm not sure you'd want to open the LDAP ports on your firewall. These things are better done over a VPN connection...

This topic is 6505 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.