Damaged files

This topic is 8141 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

From a simple single file, single machine database to track customer enquiries, I've written a 17 file system that now pretty much is used to run the company. I used to write some internal systems to help me in a previous job in FMPro 1 and 2 and got into relational databases through Lotus Approach ( as easy as FMPro and solid but limited script system). Joined this co. to help marketing and ended up spending 4 months writing large system!

The network was 2 machine (PC - FMPro 5.5) until recently, when a third was added.

The new machine crashed and led to a file being damaged, ( a script resulted in a fatal error message). The file was recovered, but running the same script which caused the orginal crash resulted in a second crash and this time two other files were also damaged.

The first attempts did not work and I got new damaged files.I've managed to get up and running from back-up, eventually, by rewriting the scripts and replacing layout elements.

(Is it possible that the application rather than any files that was damaged by the crash ? I reinstalled the application on all 3 machines, which seemed to allow me to use back-up files successfully. )

My problem is this ??? I've only just found out that files must be opened through the HOST function and not via Windows desktop shortcuts ( which we have been doing for months).Totally orrified to find this!!! I missed this when I first studied the FMPro manuals that I bought!

Files are now launched by simple files on each machine with a script using the HOST function.

The system appears to be working, but I am so worried that there is inherent damage.

My question is ??? am I likely to have stored up problems or, as I hope, that if a file opens properly it is not damaged.

Thanks,

Andrew Bruno ( very worried )

You can do lot of things; I do recommend this:

1. Make clone of databases and check that for corruption. Fields, Scripts and layouts. Without data it will be quite easy.

2. Export data as TAB text. Check that data for strange things in Excel or Word.

3. Import checked data into database clones.

That will give you reasonably good and safe start.

I completely diagree with these recommendations.

Accessing the files via the OS networking is one of the 2 worse things you can do to them. You have already had crashes. And then you recovered and kept using recovered files.

If the data are mission critical I would get them out of those files ASAP. Then I would build a new structure for them.

The lesson to be learned from this is simple:

NEVER, EVER use the OS networking capability to access a FileMaker Pro file. And if files are critical use FM Server and keep clean clones.

Old Advance Man

quote:

Originally posted by Old Advance Man:

I completely diagree with these recommendations.

Old Advance Man

With due respect -- that is the worst from your post OAM. You are recommending not trying the most logical and quite simple procedures.

I did exactly that for many clients and I was usually able to recover that way 100% of their databases.

Only in one case it was not successful. But that databases where completely destroyed

This topic is 8141 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.